Monday, October 19, 2015

Crimson Peak


Guillermo del Toro's Crimson Peak is a visually stunning gothic horror movie starring Tom Hiddleston as the english aristocrat, Sir Thomas Sharpe, and Mia Wasikowska as the haunted aspiring author, Edith Cushing.

After hearing about this movie our mutual love for gothic romance overcame my girlfriend and my fear of horror movies to the point that we decided to take a trip to the theatre. Our one concession was that the trip happened early afternoon where we could escape safely into the sunshine once it was over.

I am happy to report that my preparations weren't necessary. The movie was not the horror filled thrill ride I was expecting, but was instead a gorgeous trip through victorian america with the occasional visually striking violent or paranormal scene spread throughout. The ever-present red clay that Crimson Peak gets it's name from also makes for some great excuses to add a dash of red to any scene without anyone batting an eye.



The ghosts that were my main concern when preparing for the movie, were so unique, and beautifully created that I frequently found myself staring in amazement rather than horror.

And for all the ladies (and the occasional gentleman as well) out there, I'm happy to report that there is in fact a bare Hiddleston hiney at one point in the film.

All in all Crimson Peak was a beautiful movie full of scenes you'll be talking about for years that is a must for any fan of gothic romance, Guilermo del Toro, or regular old horror.

No comments: